The committee CL019 of Environment in the Chilean National Standardization Institute (INN) has begun a process to approve a new norm for sampling odours for dynamic olfactometry based on the existing German Norm VDI 3880. The new prNCh3386 Norma Muestreo estático para olfatometría (Standard Static Sampling for Olfactometry) will introduce several new requirements for a better representativeness of a sample. This way Chile will have a more advanced standard on odour sampling.
Although many aspects of odour sampling will be included in the revised European standard EN 13725, the Chilean Normalization body has understood that there are still a few years left to see the new norm as a reference. In fact, there is a very detailed procedure for sampling odours in the already published as the German Norm Norm VDI 3880, Static sampling. olfactometry. Therefore there is a group of people led by the INN discussing about including several aspects of this standard on a new Chilean standard: the new NCh3386 Norma Muestreo estático para olfatometría.
The draft of the norm was in the step of public exposure till the 5th of June 2015
As many of you probably know, the VDI 3880 introduced several changes in olfactometric sampling not taken into account in the EN 13725. The key points of the VDI 3880 are the following:
- A sampling period of 30 min is established.
- The storage time for the samples prior to analysis is limited to 6 hours.
- Sample collection in passive sources is described in detail.
- Predilution methods are described in detail.
And what we are all curious about is: Will this Chilean standard set a maximum time of just 6 hours to analyse a sample?
Leave your comments below and show what you think about this new Standard.
If you find this article interesting, you might be also interested in these articles.
- Approval of the new Chilean norm NCh3190 transposition of the European EN 13725.
- Odour Pollution Project Law presented in the Deputy Chamber of Chile.
- Presentation of the strategy for odour management 2014-2017 in Chile
- The H4 Odour Management Guidance has been recently revised.
- NTC 5880. Approval of a new Air Quality Norm based on the EN 13725 in Colombia