One week left for the EN 16841 to be implemented at national level by publication of an identical national standard or by endorsement. Just seven days to start working with this new European Standard that describes two methods for direct assessment of odours in ambient air: The grid method and the plume method.
The dynamic olfactometry method described in EN 13725 is generally only suitable for measurement of odour emissions at the source, as the practical lower detection limit is typically ≥10 ouE/m3 (according to the Final draft of the EN 16841). Dynamic Olfactometry should not be applied directly to determine odour exposure in the field, although some authors claim that this is possible.
The methods for measuring odour presented in this European Standard make direct use of the effect of odorants on the human sense of smell. The norm involves the use of qualified human panel members in the field to directly assess the presence of recognizable odours in ambient air, and provides data that can be used to characterize odour exposure in a defined assessment area.
Some of the methods developed in this standard were developed during the eighties in Germany. Now, 40 years later, this methodology is available for the rest of European countries.
- The EN 16841-1 that describes a grid method which uses direct assessment of ambient air by panel members to characterize odour exposure in a defined assessment area.
- The EN 16841-2 that describes a plume method for determining the extent of the downwind odour plume of a source.
One week left for this European Standard to be effective. Is your (European) country publishing a national standard or just endorsing the EN 16841? Use the comments below for this interesting discussion.
If you find this article interesting, you might also be interested in these articles.
- Odours in the Environment, a different kind of conference organised by the Association of German Engineers VDI.
- Field Inspections
- A New Standard to Measure Odours in Europe, the new EN 16841
- How a European Standard about odours was born in 1991
- The Standard EN 16841:2016 on ambient odour measurement has been finally ratified